Richard M. Nixon: "Checkers"
"...the kids, like all kids, love the dog, and...regardless of what they say about it, we're gonna keep it."
delivered 23 September 1952
My Fellow Americans,
I come before you tonight as a candidate for the Vice Presidency and as a man whose honesty and integrity has been questioned.
Now, the usual political thing to do when charges are made against you is to either ignore them or to deny them without giving details. I believe we've had enough of that in the United States, particularly with the present Administration in Washington, D.C. To me the office of the Vice Presidency of the United States is a great office, and I feel that the people have got to have confidence in the integrity of the men who run for that office and who might obtain it.
I have a theory, too, that the best and only answer to a smear or to an honest misunderstanding of the facts is to tell the truth. And that's why I am here tonight. I want to tell you my side of the case. I'm sure that you have read the charge, and you've heard it, that I, Senator Nixon, took $18,000 from a group of my supporters.
- 经典英文演讲之 I Have a Dream
- 经典英文演讲之 Inaugural Address
- 经典英文演讲之 Pearl Harbor Address to the Nation
- 经典英文演讲之 Who Then Will Speak for the Common Good?
- 经典英文演讲之 Checkers
- 经典英文演讲之 The Space Shuttle 'Challenger'Tragedy Address
- 经典英文演讲之 Address to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association
- 经典英文演讲之 A Tale of Two Cities
- 经典英文演讲之 1984 Democratic National Convention Address
- 经典英文演讲之 I've Been to the Mountaintop