新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第五篇 Ambition 抱负
It is not difficult to imagine a world short of ambition. It would probably be a kinder world: with out demands, without abrasions, without disappointments. People would have time for reflection. Such work as they did would not be for themselves but for the collectivity. Competition would never enter in. conflict would be eliminated, tension become a thing of the past. The stress of creation would be at an end. Art would no longer be troubling, but purely celebratory in its functions. Longevity would be increased, for fewer people would die of heart attack or stroke caused by tumultuous endeavor. Anxiety would be extinct. Time would stretch on and on, with ambition long departed from the human heart.
Ah, how unrelieved boring life would be!
There is a strong view that holds that success is a myth, and ambition therefore a sham. Does this mean that success does not really exist? That achievement is at bottom empty? That the efforts of men and women are of no significance alongside the force of movements and events now not all success, obviously, is worth esteeming, nor all ambition worth cultivating. Which are and which are not is something one soon enough learns on one’s own. But even the most cynical secretly admit that success exists; that achievement counts for a great deal; and that the true myth is that the actions of men and women are useless. To believe otherwise is to take on a point of view that is likely to be deranging. It is, in its implications, to remove all motives for competence, interest in attainment, and regard for posterity.
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第一篇 Youth 青春
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第二篇 Three Days to See(Excerpts) 假如给我三天光明
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第三篇 Companionship of Books 以书为伴
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第五篇 Ambition 抱负
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第四篇 If I Rest, I Rust 如果我休息，我就会生锈
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第六篇 What I have Lived for 我为何而生
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第七篇 When Love Beckons You 爱的召唤
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第八篇 The Road to Success 成功之道
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第九篇 On Meeting the Celebrated 论见名人
- 新东方英语背诵美文30篇 第十篇 The 50-Percent Theory of Life 生活理论半对半